claycreationsbydanies

My pottery creations on and off the wheel.


Leave a comment

Testing glazes for the Rumpot

I have been a bit consumed by testing glazes to go on the rumpot the last couple of weeks, i wasn’t impressed with the matt ones i tried, so did some more. It has been keeping me out of trouble for the most part…..more on that later!

I had to test for a few reasons, mostly because i normally work in terracotta so am starting with that lovely reddy brown already and trying to alter it or just bring its natural colour out with a clear glaze and i am using a different clay this time for the pot which is well…white 🙂

I discovered browns are tricky because they all have different undertones and brown is not just brown.  The other main reason is that i am using a new clay and they all react differently with the chemicals and colourants in a glaze, and of course i didn’t know how to make brown.

This time i used a foodsafe clear glaze base so i could keep the gloss, opacified it with different amounts of zirconium silicate, rutile, red iron oxide and a commercial brown stain. To fill up the kiln, I also did some other tests with cobalt, copper carbonate and stains for my flowers maybe and did 3 monarch butterflies.

I was aiming for something similar to the clear glazed terracotta planter i made in the background, i like the outcome of number 3 for the pot, it has slight yellow undertone that matches the planter.

dsc03447

Oh yes, the bit of trouble i did get into was rushing the clay, again, i tried to bisque fire the pot before it was totally dry and the knob popped off the lid. Just to be safe, i turned the replacement lid on the wheel this time, hoping it will dry more evenly.

We have had a colour change today to a clear base, still with black grapes and green leaves, but its all good  i now know how to make a good few browns that i like for the new clay, now i can get back to the making, which we all know is my favourite part 🙂

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Throwing off the hump

To test a new glaze and some old glazes on the new clay i needed some test tiles.  Normally i do flat ones with a texture on them but they are a bit, one dimensional and i find it hard to imagine how it will look on a real pot.

So here are some mini, wonky pots thrown off the hump with Rumpot number 2 that i just had to make for myself 🙂

dsc03331