My pottery creations on and off the wheel.


Polystyrene, chicken wire and concrete sculpture

I just couldn’t wait for the workshop coming up in a couple of weeks to give this a try!

So here is my test run of the process, well my process at least, am still looking forward to the workshop where we will learn how to do it properly and about coating the finished piece using oxides I think. I will need to make another sculpture for that one.

For this one I am already imagining where it will live in the garden and which plants to surround it in. Before I started this one I made a small marquette so that I could experiment with how to position both halves of the sculpture, just because I thought it might be a bit dull as a single piece figure, this was fun in itself and got my imagination going. There are a few positions I really liked and assuming the pieces aren’t too heavy to lift it may end up being a bit of an evolving sculpture depending on my mood!


Made a clay sculpture, cut it in half and played around with it and some paper drawings. This one I really like but plan to do it in clay so I can get better detail.



I started with a big pile of polystyrene from packaging and tiny clay sculpture for reference.


Carving with a craft knife, taping and sticking with toothpicks done and it is starting to take form.


Here you can see the difference between the rough coat of cement and how it looks after smoothing.



Roughly cover the shape with chicken wire, secure the ends together using the cut edges, fold where you can to tighten onto form.


Wire cutters a must for the chicken wire, I cut mine into easy to handle sections rather than trying to cover too much in one piece.


Needle nose pliers very handy for tightening the wire onto your form. A time consuming part of the process, Baxter slept right through this step!


I mixed the bag of concrete by hand in small batches to contain the mess and get the right consistency to hold onto the mesh, kitchen gloves and a damp dust mask a must.


The concrete mix I bought had a lot of sand and no chunky bits so made it nice to work with and didn’t go off too fast but was more difficult to get it to adhere to the vertical.


After it starts to firm up a little you can smooth it out with a spatula or palette knife.


Waiting impatiently for it to dry now! Had to insert a large bent nail from calf to thigh and rework the back of the knee, hopefully this extra support will prevent another crack forming as it dries.