Well, theres not much i can add to this but oh bugger!
Another awesome workshop weekend at the pottery club in Paeroa.
This one we focussed on the female form, which i have to say i love doing and want to do some more because i haven’t done many, there is a certain art to getting the clay to stay where you put it though. I learned a whole different way of coming at the sculpturing of it than what i have tried before too, granted these ones are not the best (still love them though:-) but am feeling inspired for the next one i try.
We had lots of laughs about the way gravity has the same effect on us girls as it did on the clay, we needed to prop a few things up with varied success 🙂
It was really cool though to see a room full of so many different female forms and all of them were beautiful in their own ways.
Have been playing around with making some clay hearts in different ways till i get one i like. After scrambling around for bits and pieces i realised i needed just one more shelf within arms reach, so here we go one more rustic shelf with a clay covered piece of wood. Maybe it’s level? 🙂
I woke up with the birdfeeder bug again today, and made this cute little one. What do you think?
With all this inspiration I am running out of clay again 🙂 so it’s recycling tomorrow.
I changed my mind about the way i am going to hang the birdfeeders.
I tested out one and although it felt pretty stable with string, i played around with two of them today, leaving one with little steps on either side for the birds to perch on as they feed.
Here is the first design i started with, similar to my chook feeders but a bit more like a traditional birdfeeder with cover from the rain…i like this one too, just not really sure how to glaze this one.
Here is the new favourite spot i promised to show you.
Baxter has been keeping me company, i miss him when i’m out there, but he still thinks he’s on duty and barks his head off..we need to work on that somehow?
I also got my ancient sewing machine out and sewed up a teardrop sign for the roadside too…so i just put it out when i am making something and people can come and have a nosy and a chat 🙂
In between constantly fretting over and checking the welfare of the chooks, i did some underglazing, some small flowers, sunflowers i made last week and the jewelled gecko pot.
I have found a new favourite shady summery spot for pottery under the little tree out the front, will show you tomorrow 🙂
Sadly, it’s when the glaze I used didn’t fit the clay body and ended up with crazing, tiny little cracks all over the inside of the pot and not safe for food 😦
They will, however, make pretty plant pots, i think the next ones i make will be in terracotta with the “other” clear glaze.
Time to underglaze the grapes on the rumpots today.
One of them i will be doing at the bisque stage and one at bone dry, it will be interesting to see the differences with both methods, i usually find it easier to do at bone dry.
After this i will give them both a bisque fire to set the underglaze and fire the two new wheel thrown lids at the same time….in the kiln now.
I have been a bit consumed by testing glazes to go on the rumpot the last couple of weeks, i wasn’t impressed with the matt ones i tried, so did some more. It has been keeping me out of trouble for the most part…..more on that later!
I had to test for a few reasons, mostly because i normally work in terracotta so am starting with that lovely reddy brown already and trying to alter it or just bring its natural colour out with a clear glaze and i am using a different clay this time for the pot which is well…white 🙂
I discovered browns are tricky because they all have different undertones and brown is not just brown. The other main reason is that i am using a new clay and they all react differently with the chemicals and colourants in a glaze, and of course i didn’t know how to make brown.
This time i used a foodsafe clear glaze base so i could keep the gloss, opacified it with different amounts of zirconium silicate, rutile, red iron oxide and a commercial brown stain. To fill up the kiln, I also did some other tests with cobalt, copper carbonate and stains for my flowers maybe and did 3 monarch butterflies.
I was aiming for something similar to the clear glazed terracotta planter i made in the background, i like the outcome of number 3 for the pot, it has slight yellow undertone that matches the planter.
Oh yes, the bit of trouble i did get into was rushing the clay, again, i tried to bisque fire the pot before it was totally dry and the knob popped off the lid. Just to be safe, i turned the replacement lid on the wheel this time, hoping it will dry more evenly.
We have had a colour change today to a clear base, still with black grapes and green leaves, but its all good i now know how to make a good few browns that i like for the new clay, now i can get back to the making, which we all know is my favourite part 🙂